How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29934
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother recently died and there is approx. $60 thousand remaining

Resolved Question:

My mother recently died and there is approx. $60 thousand remaining in her bank account. I am the co-signer. I wish to split the money with my brother when all expenses covering her interment have been paid. Since I only wish to pay taxes on the amount of money I inherit, what is the best method of indicating (to the IRS) that half went to my brother?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

There is no inheritance taxes on the federal level.


As a recipient of an inheritance - you do not need to claim it as your income. Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 33 -



Only if the money are in tax deferred account - 401k, IRA, etc - the distribution might be a taxable income.

Otherwise - your only taxable income would be the interest credited on the account after your mother died.


Let me know if you need any help.



Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. XXXXX has no income tax, I assume that the inheritance (no interest accrued) does not have to reported at all.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

You are correct - there is no income tax liability.

Washington does have estate tax, but your mother's estate is not above the

$2,000,000 limit -


Let me know if you need any help.