How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not an independant contractor, nor do I own my own business,

Resolved Question:

I am not an independant contractor, nor do I own my own business, but, if I purchase a $7000 piece of equiptment which is nessessary to improve the quality and productivity of my work am I able to write it off as an expense? Thank You
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

Dear vl2mf21j -


In theory, yes you can purchase a piece of equipment and take a section 179 deduction for it. It must be used 100% for business to obtain the full benefit. The outlay must be related to work not investments. The deduction would be included as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. The expense along with all other miscellaneous deductions (tax prep fees, investment expenses, etc.) would be deductible for amounts that exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income.


I would hope that this will substantially increase your wages/salary. Another consideration is insurance and use on your employer's premises.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you