How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BK-CPA Your Own Question
BK-CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 933
Experience:  Owner of a CPA firm
Type Your Tax Question Here...
BK-CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Turbo Tax Did My Taxes. My State Return Is Incorrect And Wa

Customer Question

Turbo Tax Did My Taxes. My State Return Is Incorrect And Was Mailed Electronica
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.

We are unable to contact you outside of this forum due to Justanswer Terms of Service.

If your Federal AGI was $630, then I would expect your taxable income to be negative, since any standard deduction plus even one personal exemption would take your Taxable Income into the negative.

You offered information about your Federal return, but nothing about your state return. What state are you in and why do you think your state return is incorrect?

Edited by Anne on 5/1/2010 at 9:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no idea where that negative figure came from. I should owe no tax, which it says I don't, but the
income amount is way off.
I am in Colorado.
And I don't know why I need to pay to get a correct return. I didn't ask them to do my state tax but when they upgraded my Federal it just did it.
I have spent days trying to get this straightened out.
I am very unhappy with Turbo tax that they make getting help so difficult.
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.
Can you please tell me if you filed single or jointly, and how many dependents you claimed on your Federal 1040 tax return?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Single, 1 dependent over 65. Turbo Tax filed on 1040A
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I received an alert that I had an answer. Where do I find it.
Expert:  Anne replied 7 years ago.

With your AGI being so low, once you subtract your standard deduction for filing single ($5700) and your personal exemption ($3650) and your allowance for being over 65 ($1400), your taxable income should have been $-10120, calculated as follows:


At this point, without being able to see your actual tax return, it is very difficult to determine where the total is coming from. I do understand your desire however to not only have your return correct, but to be able to understand how your taxable income was calculated by Turbo Tax. I think at this point, it might be wise for you to take a copy of your tax return to a tax professional in your area. Many will "eyeball" the return for you and at least explain how your taxable income was calculated, especially if you just walk in with a copy of your return and ask them.

Best of luck to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not considered an adequate answer, since I have to go to another company for help. What I need is for Turbo Tax to fix this, since I have paid for it, and for you not to bill me. This has been a mess and has taken me a full week to get this far and then tells me to go elsewhere. Turbo Tax is off my list totally and so is Just answer.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 7 years ago.
If this is Turbo Tax for the web I cannot help you.

If this is Turbo Tax software, and you can prepare a redacted .tax2009 file (with your name, Social Security Number, address, and other personalized information removed), you may upload that file, and I (or another expert with Intuit software) may be able to tell you what the problem is.

We experts (at Just Answer) are not permitted to ask for (or to receive) personal information, nor to contact you outside of Just Answer.

However, I have another question for you. Are you complaining that TurboTax billed you for preparing or E-filing the Colorado return, or the Federal return, and that the return didn't need to be filed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please also return my 9.00 since you did not help me and just told me to go to someone else.
Expert:  BK-CPA replied 7 years ago.

Here's your answer:


If you filed an incorrectly prepared tax return, you will have to file an amended return (federal, state, local, etc.).




If you want someone to tell you what your tax bill is (which wasn't your question), yeah, that might get tricky over I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry it's taken so long to get an answer. I also don't know if there was any PM'ing going on between you and the original expert... Personally, I wouldn't hold it against you for not accepting this answer, though I'm a person like you who has no control over billing, just so you know.


The same goes for TurboTax (I'm not, and justanswers to the best of my knowledge isnt', associated with TurboTax or any kind of tax software).


If you need additional help, I'll be happy to work with you. Just further clarify for me your question.


Thank you for your question.