Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

IF PROPERTY IS SOLD BY THE BENEFICIARIES OF THE IRREVOCABLE

Customer Question
TRUST WHO PAYS THE INCOME...
IF PROPERTY IS SOLD BY THE BENEFICIARIES OF THE IRREVOCABLE TRUST WHO PAYS THE INCOME TAXES
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
5/1/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
If the property is owned by the trust - the gain should be reported on the trust's income tax return. Generally - the fiduciary has a choice - either trust would pay taxed on that income or taxable income would be distributed to beneficiaries (and would be reported on the schedule K-1). In most situations beneficiary's tax rates are lower - and that would be more beneficial to pass income tax liability to beneficiaries.

If the property was distributed to a beneficiary - and it was sold after that - the beneficiary - as a person who owned the property - is responsible for any taxable gain.

Let me know if you need any help.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor