How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed my 2009 1040 and owed $796 which I paid. I realized

Resolved Question:

I filed my 2009 1040 and owed $796 which I paid. I realized I had not included my son who meets qualifying relative status as a dependent. he meets all the tests including income amount and parents furnishing over half support. When completing 1040X, how do I show the additional payment made of $796 to get credit for it so my refund amount on 1040X is correct?
thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


You would enter the amount of $796 on line 15 of the Form 1040X.


Note that line 15 is for:


Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return, and additional tax paid after return was filed

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you