Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband is a German citizen and thinking of obtaining a

Customer Question
I am an American citizen...
I am an American citizen, my husband is a German citizen and thinking of obtaining a green card. He receives a pension from Germany. If we live in the US will his pension be taxed? If yes, at what rate? Trying to decide if a move to the US makes good financial sense. We are currently living in Argentina where none of our income is taxed. Thanks in advance for your help!
Cynthia Peters Zeier
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
4/30/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
According to US-Germany tax treaty - see IRS publication 901 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p901.pdf

Pensions paid by, or out of funds created by, Germany, its political subdivisions, local authorities, or instrumentalities for services performed for the paying governmental body are exempt from U.S. income tax unless the recipient is both a resident and a national of the United States.

This exemption does not apply to income or pensions for services performed in connection with a business carried on by Germany, its political subdivisions, local authorities, or instrumentalities.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hi Lev,

sorry to be obtuse but just to make sure I understand...my husband will remain a German citizen but will become a legal resident, a green card holder of the US and therefore will not have to pay US taxes on his German pension.

Thanks!

Cindy

Yes - this is correct as long your spouse would not become a citizen of the US.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor