How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29576
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do if someone fraudulently claimed me on taxes?

Resolved Question:

Someone has fraudulently claimed me as a dependent on their tax returns. I think that I know who it might be but I am not sure. This may have been going on for at least three years. How can I find out who it is and how can I recapture the deduction?

Thank You

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for using JustAnswer.

You may not get from the IRS information about the person who claimed you as a dependent. The IRS will not reveal this information to you.

You may however file your own tax return - but would not be able to do that electronically - you should mail a paper tax return and add a note that someone fraudulently claimed you as a dependent - and that is incorrect.

If you did not file your tax returns - you may do so - and you will get any refund you are entitled for past three years.
The person who fraudulently claimed you as a dependent - will get a letter from the IRS requesting to pay back all overpaid money.

If you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online, print it and mail it to: ***** ***** 93888

If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available:

  • Name and address of the person you are reporting
  • The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)
  • A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information
  • The years involved
  • The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income
  • Your name, address and daytime telephone number

Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions