How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much taxes should I pay on $26,000?

This answer was rated:

I made about $26,000 last year and I am paying $900 to the federal, and $250 to state. Can that possibly be correct?

If you are single, with no dependents, standard deduction, no other deductions or credits - and have $26,000 income from wages - your 2009federal tax liability would be $2080 minus $400 (Making work pay credit) = $1680.

Your actual tax liability would be less because of income tax withholding - If the amount withheld was $780 - please check on your W-2 from box 2 - that you will owe additional $900.

Similar verification should be done for your state.

Let me know if you need any help or our estimations should be adjusted.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

On the W-2 my Federal Withheld is $948.88. I also made $1000 from freelance work that is on my W-2 in box 14 other, it says CASDI $287.55.

So should I owe them money or should I be getting money?

$1000 from freelance income - is classified as self-employment income. You generally should deduct qualified expenses and only NET self-employment income will be a subject of income and self-employment taxes.

Assuming $1000 is your net income (in additional to $25,000 of wages) your income taxes would be $2,069, plus self-employment taxes - $142, minus make work pay credit $400 minus $949 withholding - total additional tax liability $962 - so far your calculations seems as correct.

CASDI stands for "California State Disability Insurance" - it is deducted on your California tax return - but generally is not used on the federal tax return unless you itemize.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you