How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Form 1040A, question #14a - Social Security Benefits; what

This answer was rated:

Form 1040A, question #14a - Social Security Benefits; what are considered to be a Social Security Benefits?
Question #14b - Taxable amount (pls see page 28); where can I get a booklet describing/explaining taxable amount on page 28?

I am preparing a tax return for someone who receives Social Security Benefit each month deposited into her checking account directly from Social Security for her disability; I am not sure if it is called an SSI or a Social Security Benefit. She is only 60 years old, so it will not a Social Security retirement/pension.

Please advise. Thank you.
  • Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

If the person received a 1099SSA then they received social security benefits. The amount on Line 14A would be the entire amount listed in Box 3.

You can do the following quick computation to determine whether some of your benefits may be taxable and included on Line 14B:

  • First, add one-half of the total Social Security benefits you received to all your other income, including any tax exempt interest and other exclusions from income.
  • Then, compare this total to the base amount for your filing status. If the total is more than your base amount, some of your benefits may be taxable.
  • The 2009 base amounts are:
    • $32,000 for married couples filing jointly.
    • $25,000 for single, head of household, qualifying widow/widower with a dependent child, or married individuals filing separately who did not live with their spouses at any time during the year.
    • $0 for married persons filing separately who lived together during the year.

    You need the 1099SSA document that your friend was sent form the Social Security Administration.

  • Use the following link for IRS Publication 915;


    It explains all and how to calculate any taxable portion of Social Security.

    Customer: replied 7 years ago.

    I don't believe she has the 1099SSA on her possesion or she might never received one from the IRS. How can/will I be able to know if she is supposed to receive a 1099SSA?

    This is the Social Security Benefit which is deposited directly to her checking account each month from the Social Security Office. She has the bank statement which shows the Social Security benefit deposited into her checking account each month.

    I know for sure that her total income including one-half of the total Social Security benefits is not more than the base amount of $25,000. He Social Security Benefits total in 2009 is $3,570.50. Wages $4,400. Monetary Gifts $3,700. Charitable contribution to her church is $373. Total Gross Income is $11,297.50 (including the Social Security Benefits).

    How am I going to report this Social Security Benefit on 1040A line 14b? or is this Social Security Benefit taxable in her situation?

    She was sent a 1099SSA form from the Social Security Administration.

    By the information you have supplied none of her Social Security will be taxable. Enter the total received on 14a and then $0 on b.

    Robin D. and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you