How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15438
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a 1098T from my school with an amount in box 4 (16K).

Resolved Question:

I received a 1098T from my school with an amount in box 4 (16K). What do I do with this?
Where does it go on my taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Box "four" nets adjustments to the student's account. If a number is XXXXX to box "four," then this amount should be subtracted from the amount in box "two." Items included in box "four" are the tuition and fee adjustments during the prior year. For example, if the student registered for a class in November 2008 for the spring 2009 semester. The amount would show as an adjustment on the 1098-T because the registration took place in calendar 2008. Remember to subtract box 4 from box 2.
You do not report the amounts in Box 4 anywhere on your tax return.


I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no amount in box 2. So do I do nothing with this 1098T? I am ready to file tax through the H&R block software and only have this 1098T left to input. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

You have nothing to subtract the amount from on your 2009 return. You may wish to look back at your 2008 and see if you are eligible for an Education Credit with the funds paid in 2008.

You are not required to enter any amount form the 1098T on your 2009 return.

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you