How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me

Resolved Question:

My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me my wife and myself all of last year. She had no job or income and only about 4 weeks of unemployment. Can we claim them as dependents as we supplied room and board and most other things that they needed.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


You may claim your daughter and her two children as dependents as long as the following all apply.


1. Your daughter did not have income of her own of more than$3,650 for the year. I would assume if her only income was from 4 weeks of unemployment benefits, her income would be below this amount.


2. You provided more than half of their total support.


3. Your grandchildren are not the qualifying children of another taxpayer -- basically meaning here that the father does not have the right to claim them.



If all of those rules can be met, then you can claim your daughter and both of your grandchildren as dependents.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Customer





Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you