Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me

Customer Question
my wife and myself all...
My 41 year old daughter and her 2 teen age children lived me my wife and myself all of last year. She had no job or income and only about 4 weeks of unemployment. Can we claim them as dependents as we supplied room and board and most other things that they needed.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

You may claim your daughter and her two children as dependents as long as the following all apply.

1. Your daughter did not have income of her own of more than$3,650 for the year. I would assume if her only income was from 4 weeks of unemployment benefits, her income would be below this amount.

2. You provided more than half of their total support.

3. Your grandchildren are not the qualifying children of another taxpayer -- basically meaning here that the father does not have the right to claim them.

If all of those rules can be met, then you can claim your daughter and both of your grandchildren as dependents.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you JA Customer

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant