How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who is on SS.. 65 and received SS of around

Resolved Question:

I have a friend who is on SS.. 65 and received SS of around 11000.00 a year. Does she have to pay taxes on this... and if not does she have to file a return. Also if she has made a small amount 2,000 w2 wages in this year... does she file on that and which forms should she use.....
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello Jarod,


SS benefits are not taxable unless you also have too much other income. If the only other income your friend had other than SS was $2,000, then she would not owe taxes and is not required to file a return.


The rent credit is a state credit she may be eligible for, but even this credit only applies if you owe taxes to begin with. Since she owes no taxes and is not even required to file a return, the rent credit would not even apply.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you Jarod



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you