How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father has between 50 & 80 thousand in cds. No other heirs.

Resolved Question:

My father has between 50 & 80 thousand in cd's. No other heirs. Simple will. He told me I get everything, except 1000 to 2 other people. How much will inheritance tax be? Is there anything that we should do to affect tax reduction? I live with him and care for him. He's 88 yrs old.
[email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.
Assuming he has no other assets, then there will no federal estate taxes because the value of his gross estate is not large enough to be subject to taxes this year or next year. If he is a resident of FL then there will be no state estate or inheritance taxes because FL does not impose any of those types of taxes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My income is only 25k/yr. plus have 401k valued at 32,500. I'm 57 yrs old. Just started new job. Will have to roll over current 401k. Fully vested. Any more advice?
Expert:  Bill replied 7 years ago.

Assuming you don't plan on withdrawing the funds for spending needs, then you should have the funds directly rolled over from the 401(k) to an IRA in order to continue tax deferral on the assets. You can open an IRA at a bank, insurance company, or investment firm. Depending on the institution that you open the account with, you may have the option of investing in CDs, stocks, bonds, mutual funds or an annuity.

The 401(k) plan will provide you with the the forms to complete to elect the rollover and there will be a section for you to provide the IRA account information.

Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you