How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 5 and signed with an acting agent in mid-2009. We

This answer was rated:

My son is 5 and signed with an acting agent in mid-2009. We spent around $4000 on photos, trips for auditions, etc. He did not earn anything throughout the year. Can my husband and I deduct these expenses on our tax return? If so, do we claim them as a business expense?

Hello JA,


You cannot actually claim these expenses as your own deductions against your own income.


You would actually have to file a return for your son since he is the one who would eventually be receiving the income from this "business" activity. But since your son did not actually have any income for the year, then he really has nothing to apply these deductions against. However, these can all be considered start up costs for his business for if and when he does start receiving income from this business venture. When that happens, you may claim start up costs from prior years at that time on a return which you will file to report any income he earns.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA


Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you