How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yesterday we received from IRS notice of owing $7,449 on 2008

This answer was rated:

Yesterday we received from IRS notice of owing $7,449 on 2008 Fed.Income Tax plus penalties. We misinterpreted statement on a 2008 1009-LTC that we did NOT have to include $36,300 received on Maxine's LTC payments from CNA Insurance Co. On the other hand we had also NOT taken medical deductions for the doctor-ordered assisted living that she has been receiving since May 2006. We recomputed 2008 return adding $36,300 in income and $39,080 in medical deductions resulting in minimal change. What should we do about our 2008 Virginia income tax?
Henry V.and Maxine K. Harman, Richmond

Hello JA Customer,


Any time that you file an amended federal return, you must also file an amended return with your state. The IRS will automatically notify your state when an amended return has been filed, and the state will expect you to file an amended state return.


Once you file your amended return with the IRS and it has been accepted, you should proceed at that point to file that same amended information with the state of VA.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you