How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident of Texas. I was sent to California to work

This answer was rated:

I am a resident of Texas. I was sent to California to work for 6 days. My w-2 shows $300+ withheld in CA state tax. What do I do?

Hello JA,


Anytime that you physically work within the borders of a state that imposes a state income tax, the money you earn while there is subject to income taxes in that state. This is why your employer withheld CA taxes on that income, as they are legally obligated to do so.


What you will need to do is file a tax return with CA as a non resident. You will only report the amount of income that you actually earned while in the state of CA. Depending on your total income and the taxes that were withheld, you may be entitled to a partial or total refund of the taxes withheld from your check, but you will need to file a nonresident return with CA to claim any refund which may be due.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I have just a couple of follow-up questions.

Do you know what form I should use or if this is possible through online tax paying services such as Turbotax?

Is the CA Tax return deadline the same as Federal, April 15th?

Hello again JA,


The form you would file as a nonresident would be CA Form 540NR. This form is also available if you use an on line service such as Turbo Tax or Tax Act or any of the software programs.


The filing deadline is April 15th, the same as the federal deadline.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much!


Thank you Zach