How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29568
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be receiving $278.00 a week unemployment from Jan. 2010

This answer was rated:

I will be receiving $278.00 a week unemployment from Jan. 2010 to Sept. 2010-taxes already being taken out- and $ 1167.00 a month from SSI from Feb. 2010 on. I will be 62 years old on Aug. 30 of this year. I am confused as to whether to have taxes deducted from my SSI or not. Can you help me?

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

By the way, it would help us to know:

-Please verify if you meant 2009 or 2010 tax year?
-Please confirm that your total unemployment benefits are $278 * 9 = $2502?
-Please also confirm that your social security benefits are $1167 * 11 = $12837? and that is not Supplemental Security Income (SSI) - correct?


The first $2400 of unemployment benefits are not taxable - so your only taxable unemployment benefits are $102

To determine if your social security income is taxable - following is the test -

half of your social security income plus other taxable income (if any) - if the total is less than $25,000 (for single) - none of your social security disability income is taxable.

Considering deductions - there should not be any tax liability.

So far - if above your only income - you would not have any tax liability and may want to file a tax return to have the withheld taxes refunded.


Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.


Please review my letter--the $278.00 is per week--not per month--@ $278.00

I am already having taxes taken out @ a rate of 10% per check. This will be for my

taxes for 2010. I am collecting social security on a deceased spouse --we were

married for ten years and then divorced.

Sorry for my mistake and appreciate your clarification.


So your estimated unemployment benefits will be $278 * 40 weeks = $11120

Taxable part will be $11120 - $2400 = $8720

Your estimated social security benefits are $1167 * 11 = $12837 - none of which should be taxable (based on the test above)


Thus - your adjusted gross income $8720

standard deduction $5700

personal exemption $3650

and none of your income will be taxable - you may ask to stop tax withholding from your unemployment benefits or file 2010 tax return at the tax time and request a refund.


You do not need any additional withholding form your social security benefits.


Let me know if you need any help or clarification.


Edited by LEV on 4/1/2010 at 6:09 PM EST
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Lev,

Thank you for all your help--now I know what to do from here-on-in.