Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My sons girlfriend and her 2 children lived with him all of

Customer Question
My son's girlfriend and her...
My son's girlfriend and her 2 children lived with him all of 2009. She is permanently disabled and received Social Security benefits of $3840 on form 1099 for the year. She received no other income. Can he claim her or the children as dependents on his income tax this year?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2010
Tax Professional: lawNinvest,
 replied 7 years ago
lawNinvest
No he can't. He cannot claim children that are not his as his own, unless he has legal custody rights over them. Since he is not married to his girlfriend he also can't claim her.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

it is my understanding that you can claim a person if you have lived with them and supplied 1/2 their income even if you are not related. it even has a place for relationship and lists a possible "none" choice. Are you sure?
Tax Professional: lawNinvest,
 replied 7 years ago
In what state do they live in as the answer can vary?

Thanks

north carolina but I am asking about federal and I guess state
Tax Professional: lawNinvest,
 replied 7 years ago
I am going to move your question to our Tax experts to assist you further as I may not be understanding your question completely. No need to accept on my questions, thanks.
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Please find rules for claiming dependents in IRS publication 501 page 12 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

I put extract here for your convenience

graphic

If Social Security benefits of $3840 is the only income of the girlfriend - it is not taxable - and the girlfriend is a qualified relative of your son - and may be claimed as a dependent.

Because the girlfriend is a dependent - she may not claim her children and if children are not qualified children for anyone else - they are qualified relatives for your son - and therefore may be claimed as dependents.

Let me know if you need any help.

Edited by LEV on 4/1/2010 at 8:29 PM EST
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor