Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My father just passed away and had a living trust. He left

Customer Question
my brother, sister and I...
My father just passed away and had a living trust. He left my brother, sister and I about 100,000.00 and his home valued at $200,000.00. Is there taxes due on his estate before we receive our inheritance?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2010
Tax Professional: Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Based on the information provided, there should not be any taxes related to the estate.

jon

Jon Andrews
Are we responsible for any taxes on what we recieve from my Father?

Thank You

There are two primary ways that you MIGHT be responsible for taxes. 1. If any of the money is coming from an IRA or other retirement plan, there could be some tax liability related to that. 2. Any interest or dividends earned by the money after his death will be subject to tax either to you individually or to the estate.

However, the actual receipt of the money and property is not taxable to you.

jon

Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews