How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29655
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to find out what I owe the IRS for back taxes;

Resolved Question:

Is there a way to find out what I owe the IRS for back taxes; I'm in the process of moving and do not have access to all of my old records? Can I call them?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

The IRS will not provide you such information on the phone.

You may however walk into a local IRS office and verify if you owe any taxes.

Let me know if which state do you live and I will provide you contact information.

If you need the information fast - that is likely the best way.


You also may request transcripts by calling 1-800-829-1040, or order by mail using IRS Form 4506T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return). There is no fee for transcripts. Allow two weeks for delivery.

A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after the tax return was filed. This transcript shows basic data, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.


Let me know if you need any help.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live in Md on the DC I have to go on office in MD or can I go to one in DC as well?
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

DC -,,id=98267,00.html

MD -,,id=98284,00.html


You may use ANY IRS office.

No appointment needed - just walk-in.


Related Tax Questions