How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

spouse transferred to north carolina effective jan 1/ 2010.

This answer was rated:

spouse transferred to north carolina effective jan 1/ 2010. living in rv park. paying north carolina payroll taxes, etc. .... i (wife) still living in oregon receiving disability ss and retirement disability. .... will probably buy house in north carolina in about a month or 2.
question. . when do we switchover to north carolina ... will he have to pay north caroline and oregon taxes.

Hello JA Customer,


If you will also be moving permanently to NC sometime in the next few months, when you file your returns at the end of next year, you will file two returns --


1. A resident return with the state of NC

2. A part year resident return with the state of OR


If your spouse has actually been working the entire year in NC, he will not report any of that income to OR. The only thing that will actually still be reportable in OR is the retirement disability payments that you received while still residing there. Once you also actually move to NC, those payments will be taxable by NC only.



Thank you JA Customer



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we file a joint return. will we have to file separatelly?

Hello again Tom,


No, you will not have to file separate returns. When you file your part year resident return with the state of OR, you will simply be required to report any income that either you or your husband had while you were still a resident of that state. The rest of the income will be taxable in NC.



Thank you Tom



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you