Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

spouse transferred to north carolina effective jan 1/ 2010.

living in rv park....
spouse transferred to north carolina effective jan 1/ 2010. living in rv park. paying north carolina payroll taxes, etc. .... i (wife) still living in oregon receiving disability ss and retirement disability. .... will probably buy house in north carolina in about a month or 2.
question. . when do we switchover to north carolina ... will he have to pay north caroline and oregon taxes.
4/1/2010
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello JA Customer,

If you will also be moving permanently to NC sometime in the next few months, when you file your returns at the end of next year, you will file two returns --

1. A resident return with the state of NC

2. A part year resident return with the state of OR

If your spouse has actually been working the entire year in NC, he will not report any of that income to OR. The only thing that will actually still be reportable in OR is the retirement disability payments that you received while still residing there. Once you also actually move to NC, those payments will be taxable by NC only.

Thank you JA Customer

we file a joint return. will we have to file separatelly?

Hello again Tom,

No, you will not have to file separate returns. When you file your part year resident return with the state of OR, you will simply be required to report any income that either you or your husband had while you were still a resident of that state. The rest of the income will be taxable in NC.

Thank you Tom

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant