How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed my federal and state taxes using turbotax and

Resolved Question:

I have filed my federal and state taxes using turbotax and was accepted on March 14. Since the I discovered that I missed 654.00 in reportable interest income. This was on the 1099 for the federal govt. but I missed it in my figures and found the form later. Should I file an amended return?

Roger De Horn
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,


Yes, you will need to file an amended return to report that interest as part of your taxable income. If the amount was only $654, this should not result in a huge tax increase, but it will of course raise your taxes some. The IRS receives copies of those 1099 forms, so if you do not file an amended return on your own, then at some point the IRS will eventually notify you about the discrepancy, and by the time that happens they will have also added interest due for the late payment. So you are better off to go ahead and file an amended return now on your own.


Turbo Tax has an option available for you to fill out an amended return on their website. But unlike your original return, an amended return cannot be e-filed. Once it has been completed you will need to print out the amended returns and mail them to the IRS and to the state along with any additional payment that may be due.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you