How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been unemployed for two years. My wife has a job and

This answer was rated:

I have been unemployed for two years. My wife has a job and our 21 year old son has a job and lives with us. He filed a separate tax return so I can't claim him as dependent but we provide more than half his support. Is there any way to claim for the support we give him or can I use the HOH deduction? Also, last year after job loss we had to get into our 401K which had no taxes withheld when we withdrew. That resulted in a 5K tax bill which we are currently paying monthly. For this year we withdrew the rest of the 401K which also had no tax withheld and we will owe taxes on it for this years return. I do not have the money to pay this years tax bill...can I add it to the current installment plan I have in place now?

Hello JA Customer,


Unfortunately you cannot claim any of the expenses that you pay for your son's support since he is no longer your dependent. Since he has his own job and files his own tax return and is no longer your dependent, this also prevents you from using the HOH filing status.


I am sorry that I could not give you a more favorable answer.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Customer



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I try to add this years taxes to uor current repayment plan or is that not allowed? We are really strapped its really ben hard to get job interviews for a 62 year old...Thanks

Hello again JA Customer,


If you are currently on a payment plan with the IRS for taxes you owe in prior years, you may amend your payment agreement to also include taxes that you may owe for this year if you cannot pay them.


You should still go ahead and file your tax return by the due date to avoid any late filing penalties. Once the return is filed, you would simply need to contact the IRS to arrange for an updated payment plan.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you JA Customer



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you