Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My 94 yr. old mother lives with me and has for the past 10

years. I am a...
My 94 yr. old mother lives with me and has for the past 10 years. I am a 68 year old retiree. I have already filed my taxes for last year and ow $381. She does not file a return because of her limited income. Should I refile?
4/1/2010
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Do you claim her as a dependent on your tax return?
No I have not claimed her as a dependent. That is my question. Should I claim her?

Yes, if you are supporting her and if she does not have income than you can claim her as a dependent on your tax return.

Did the trust fund give you a K-1 reporting interest of $350?

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

She does have income of $769 a month of Social Security and about $5,000 in interest income. Does this change the situation?

If she has interest income of $5000 than this is more than $3650 (personal exemption) allowed under the gross income test.

Hence, you cannot claim her as your dependent.

Let me know if you have any question.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)