How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7098
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am being audited for my 2007 taxes. I only kept receipts

Customer Question

i am being audited for my 2007 taxes. I only kept receipts from expenses for 2008 and 2009 because I thought they only look back two years so I discarded the 2007 receipts. What can I do now???
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.


The only thing you can do is rely on bank records to verify whatever expenditures you can. If you are missing bank statement/checks, you'll have to obtain them from the bank.


Also, for any large items you should be able to get duplicate receipts from the vendors.


Beyond that, you'll have to wait & see what the auditor wants. Many items, taxes, insurance, medical, securities transactions, etc., can be obtained from the party you did business with.