How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Want to know about selling an investment property for a huge

This answer was rated:

Want to know about selling an investment property (Commercial Office Building or a mobile home park) for a huge amount to my children so they can have depreciation available to write off each year and some way they could still pay me most of the annual income generated by it.

I'm thinking that since I could sell it and offset the sale with hundreds of thousands of short term stock losses I wouldn't have to pay taxes on the sale and they would get the benefit of writting off the depreciation each year off their income taxes.

The Internal Revenue Code prohibits a seller from realizing "capital gain" on a sale to related parties where the related parties will be able to depreciate whatever is being sold - that would negate your anticipated benefits.



Jon Andrews and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you