Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you have an AR balance as of the end of a Fiscal year and

Customer Question
the money is not collectable...
If you have an AR balance as of the end of a Fiscal year and the money is not collectable despite being recorded on the balance sheet as account receivable.

Is this still considered an Account Receivable?
and
What is the definition of an Account Receiable as it relates to GAAP?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2010
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Thanks for your question.

No, it should not be considered an accounts receivable (A/R) if it has been determined the account is uncollectible. Once it is determined that the amount is uncollectible, steps must be taken to write the debt off as a bad debt. There are 2 methods of doing this: 1) Direct write-off method: Once the debt is determined to be uncollectible, the loss is recorded by debiting Bad Debt Expense and crediting A/R. or 2) Allowance Method: An estimate is made on the expected uncollectible accounts based on total sales made on credit/account or from total outstanding receivables. The estimate is entered as an expense and an indirect reduction in A/R through an allowance for doubtful accounts.

A/R is defined as claims held against customers and others for money, goods or services that are expected to be collected.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA