How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Living in New Jersey, working in NYC - Tax Question

This answer was rated:

I live in New Jersey and work in NYC. What taxes and other deductions will be taken from my pay? Will NY State/City tax still be deducted along with the NJ tax?

I can only tell you what SHOULD be deducted from your pay, as I have seen many New York employers make errors in tax withholding and W2 preparation.

Since you work physically in NY State, your employer should withhold NY State tax. You are not subject to NYC tax since you are not a resident of NYC UNLESS you work for the city, such as a public school teacher or transit worker.

You also may be subject to NY disability tax if your employer participates with the state disability plan. (This is only generally pennies to a couple dollars on each paycheck)

When you file a tax return, in addition to filing your federal return, you must file a NY State Non-resident return (IT-203) and file a NJ resident return. You will use Schedule A on the NJ return to calculate a credit for taxes paid to another jurisdiction (New York state). This effectively will alleviate double taxation on that income.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry if I was not so clear, but I am coming to the US next month (from Brazil) and wanted to know from my total paycheck (let's say US$1.000 per month), how is the percentage that will be deducted (as city and state) taxes?

Thanks in advance

Well in order to help you better, I need to know how much your gross pay is and what the pay period is...Is it $1,000 per month and you are paid once a month?

Also, will you be working for the city or for a private company?

How will you fill out your W4 form? (Married or Single, # ***** exemptions) Generally if you are single you would fill it out as single 0 or single 1. The more exemptions you pick, the less tax is taken out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok, I got it. My gross payment is $12,500 total per month (and I am paid twice a month), I'll be working for a private company, and I'll fill the W4 as married with no kids (and my wife will be my dependent, if posible).

How much will be taken of my gross payment?

Married, 0, on $6250 semi-monthly will look something like this: (401k, medical insurance, or other non-taxable deductions are not considered)

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="532">
Your Pay Check Results

Semi-monthly Gross Pay


Federal Withholding


Social Security




New York




Net Pay

Wendy Reed and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you