Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been

Customer Question
paying 400$ a yr to...
my annual earned income is less than 12000 dollars, ive been paying 400$ a yr to have H&R Block tell me I dont owe anything. My question is do you think I should keep paying H&R ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
3/13/2010
Tax Professional: JKCPA, CPA replied 7 years ago
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your question.

Unless you are filing single or filing married separate, your gross income of less than $12000 (excluding non-taxable disability) is lower than the minimum filing requirements for a tax return. Each year the minimum gross income amounts change slightly. You can check if you need to file by looking at IRS Pub. 17 each year under "Do I have to file a return?" For 2009, see http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch01.html#en_US_publink1000170388

You would also want to file a return in future years if your income increases or if you wish to claim refundable credits. To answer your question, you do not have to go to a tax preparer (like H&R Block) if you have determined for yourself that you do not have to file unless you feel more comfortable in doing that.

Hope this helps,

Best regards,

JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA
JKCPA
JKCPA
JKCPA, CPA