How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29574
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am age 75. My wife is 73. Due to high medical expenses

Customer Question

I am age 75. My wife is 73. Due to high medical expenses and loss of income causing us to use IRA funds to live which made our social security taxable we have a tax for 2009 of $8,000 which we cannot pay. We do not have enough money left to live through the end of this year. What can we do about our taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If you cannot pay the full amount of taxes you owe, you should still file your return by the deadline and pay as much as you can to avoid penalties and interest. You also should contact the IRS to discuss your payment options at 1-800-829-1040. The agency may be able to provide some relief such as a short-term extension to pay, an installment agreement or an offer in compromise. In some cases, the agency may be able to waive penalties.


An installment agreement would allow you to make a series of monthly payments over time.

A one-time installment agreement fee of $105.00 will be charged when you enter into an installment agreement unless you choose to pay through a Direct Debit from your bank account, in which case the fee is $52.00. Taxpayers with income at or below 250% of the Department of Health and Human Services poverty guidelines can apply to pay a reduced user fee of $43.00. You can request the reduced fee using Form 13844, Application For Reduced User Fee For Installment Agreements.

You may contact the IRS by phone or in person, or you may submit Form 9465, Installment Agreement Request, through the mail. The form has space for you to write in your checking account number and your bank routing number, or you may staple a voided check to the form.


Let me know if you need any help.