Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

ive received a 1099 for monies i never waspaid

Customer Question
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2010
Tax Professional: Merlo, Accountant replied 7 years ago
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant

Hello sue,

If you cannot get the company to void the form which was sent to you, then you will need to attach a statement to your tax return, explaining to the IRS that you were issued a 1099 form for money that you never received, and explain that is why you have not included that amount on your tax return. Include a copy of the 1099 form for their reference.

Once your return is received, the IRS will send correspondence to the company asking for further detail on why this form was issued. If they firm can show where payment was made to you, then you will still be liable for the tax on that amount, otherwise the IRS will request that the firm void the form.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you sue

Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Merlo
Merlo
Merlo, Accountant