How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ive received a 1099 for monies i never waspaid

Resolved Question:

ive received a 1099 for monies i never waspaid
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello sue,


If you cannot get the company to void the form which was sent to you, then you will need to attach a statement to your tax return, explaining to the IRS that you were issued a 1099 form for money that you never received, and explain that is why you have not included that amount on your tax return. Include a copy of the 1099 form for their reference.


Once your return is received, the IRS will send correspondence to the company asking for further detail on why this form was issued. If they firm can show where payment was made to you, then you will still be liable for the tax on that amount, otherwise the IRS will request that the firm void the form.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you sue



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you