Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they

Customer Question
go off for only a...
If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they go off for only a few weeks while they work for you how much of their future unemployment would I be liable for? The previous employer had them for several years and this person has only collected a couple weeks to date. Thank you!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

New SUTA rates In Florida are started Jan 1, 2010 and are based on annual salary up to $8,500 per employee:

-- Minimum rate: 0.0118 or $100.30 per employee

-- Maximum rate: 0.0540 or $459 per employee

Florida assigns new employers an initial tax rate of 0.0270

Let me know if you need any help.

You didnt answer my question. Will I have to pay his unemployment after he works for me for 2 or 3 weeks? I know I have to pay into it but will I be liable for his weekly check if he becomes unemployed again?

You do not pay unemployment to the person who works for you - you will only pay SUTA taxes that are used to pay unemployment benefits.

do I have to continue to pay them if he is my only employee and he leaves Lev?

You will pay SUTA taxes as a percentage of wages paid.

If you do not pay any wages - there would not be any SUTA taxes.

When wages for a specific person overpass $8,500 - you would not pay SUTA taxes for that person in the current year - only first $8,500 of wages are taxable.

Can you please just answer the original question below? Once they leave me do I have any exposure to the money they collect???

If you hire some one that is collecting unemployement and they go off for only a few weeks while they work for you how much of their future unemployment would I be liable for?

You as an employer are not liable for unemployment benefits.

Unemployment benefits are paid by the unemployment insurance - http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/

You as an employer are only liable to pay SUTA taxes which are used to fund the unemployment insurance.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Thanks
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor