Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

When filling out my 2009 tax form. I realized that if I took

the standred deduction that it...
When filling out my 2009 tax form. I realized that if I took the standred deduction that it was more than all my itemized deductions. I looked back at my 2008 form and realized that I over paid my taxes by $250 by itemizing instead of taking the standred deduction.
How do I go back and ammend it. I thought I should use the 1040X but after filling it out it did not have a way to apply for the $250 I over paid. What should I be filling out?
3/2/2010
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You need to use the form 1040X - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf - there is no other way.

In the header -

(B) - mark for which year you are amending;

(C) - Explanation of changes - you will write - "Changed from itemized deduction to standard deduction"

On the line 2 - you will put your standard deduction amount.

Follow instructions - and you should calculate your additional refund.

Let me know if you need any help.

I have already completed a1040X and it comes out on line 19 that I owe $509 which is $250 less than than I paid last year by check which was $759. Do I send this form in with

a copy ofthe 2008 1040 I filed last year or is there another form I fill out?

You do not need to send a copy of your 2008 tax return - the IRS should have that copy.

On the line 15 - you should have $759 that you paid last year,

and line 20 should be $250

line 19 should be empty.

Do i send copies of my w2s or any of the attachments that were with my original filling of my 1040?

If you previously sent W2 with your original tax return - there is no need to sent them again.

You should only send forms which are changed - most likely - you do not have to send any additional forms.

Do not forget to sign the form 1040X.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor