How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an adult daughter who lives with us and receives Social

Customer Question

I have an adult daughter who lives with us and receives Social Security disability. Her checks are made out to both of us as I am still her guardian. Can we claim her as a dependent.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello terrie,


As long as your daughter does not have income of her own of more than $3,650 for the year and you provide more than half of her support, then you may claim her as a dependent. Her SS benefits are not included in the $3,650 calculation.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you terrie