Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

can Wendy Rieger answer this I saw that she has answered a

can Wendy Rieger answer this...
can Wendy Rieger answer this? I saw that she has answered a lot of questions and has a 100% approval rating.

I have not filed taxes yet for this year or for 2009. I did turbotax in 2009 but my state (VA) and federal taxes were both rejected for reasons I did not understand. Now I have a different computer and that info is lost.

Regarding taxes for 2010: Until Feb of 2009 I worked in a coffee shop which closed abruptly bc of a shooting tragedy. I have not gotten tax forms from the surviving owner and don't know how to contact her.

In 2009 I was very sick and in and out of the hospital, one reason I didn't follow up with re-filing my taxes.

How can I square myself with the IRS and even avoid penalty? I want to do the right thing, quickly, if I can. Thanks!
3/2/2010
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

Hello there,

I am sorry that I did not see your question until now.

For future reference, Just Answer allows you to request a specific expert.

When you have not filed taxes for this year or 2009, what you really mean is that you haven't filed for tax year 2009 or 2008 I think, since you usually file for the tax year during the first three-four months of the next year.

The first thing that you can do is to get all the paperwork that you have to reconstruct your records, and request any W2 forms form past employers that you had in 2008 and 2009. As you said, if you cannot contact the surviving owner, you may be able to reconstruct your income by using pay stubs.

You can call the IRS to tell them that you never received a W2 for 2009, and they can further assist you by trying to contact the employer. Here is information regarding this option: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106470,00.html

If the above is not feasible, then you can request transcripts of income that was reported under your social security number for 2008 and 2009 (although 2009 records will not be available yet) and use these transcripts to reconstruct your income and taxes withheld for filing purposes. Here is a link to the form and instructions:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

The problem with getting W2 information from the IRS is that they don't include state information. You may want to try the VA dept of revenue to see if you can get a copy of W2s filed with the state:

http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=ContactUs#phone

Will the IRS assess penalties against me? I'm really worried about this. Thank you for such a complete answer. i didn't realize I could request a specific expert, but glad you saw this!

The IRS and state of VA can assess penalties and interest for late filing and late payment on the 2009 return. However, it may be possible that you are due refunds, depending upon your overall tax situation---for example, income and withholding, deductions, etc. If you do owe, you may request abatement of penalties due to hospitalization. This would be the form to use if it comes to that:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf

You are not late for this year, so unless you have a gross underpayment of tax there should be no penalties.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent