Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I HAVE AN APARTMENT IN THE BASEMENT ON MY HOUSE. THE WOMAN

Customer Question
I HAVE AN APARTMENT IN...
I HAVE AN APARTMENT IN THE BASEMENT ON MY HOUSE. THE WOMAN WHO IS RENTING THE APARTMENT, LOST HER JOB AND HAS PAID LITTLE OR NO RENT. I HAVE NOT ASKED HER TO LEAVE BECAUSE SHE HAS THREE CHILDREN AND PROMISED TO PAY BACK THE BACK RENT. CAN I STILL DEDUCT PART OF THE INSURANCE AND OTHER MAINTENANCE I HAVE DONE TO THE APARTMENT. THANK YOU
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2010
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If the person is not related to you and you decided to change a smaller rent - that is still a rental activity and you will be able to report your rental income and deduct rental expenses on the schedule E - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf

Because rental activity is generally considered a passive activity - in case you have a rental losses - your deduction is limited by $25,000 - see Maximum special allowance

on the page 14 IRS publication 527 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor