How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was divorced in Mar 2009 in Colorado. The decreee states

Resolved Question:

I was divorced in Mar 2009 in Colorado. The decreee states that any profit/loss from the sale of the marital home is the responsibility of my ex-husband. He was also awarded all mortgage interest and tax deductions on the property. The marital home actually sold (at a loss) and closed in October 2009. How do I report this sale on my individual return?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello JA Guest,


If your husband is the one who was actually awarded the home in your property settlement, then you are not required to report anything on this sale since it occurred after you were divorced. In addition, no taxes will be due in any event since the home was sold at a loss.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you JA Guest



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you