Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I settled on a boat in 2009. The bank did not send me a 1099

I settled on a boat in 2009. The bank did not send me a 1099 form.Do I have to claim the settle amouit on my tax return
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello jeff,

If you did not receive a 1099-C form from the bank, then you should not include this as taxable income on your return.

The lender only issues the 1099-C form in the year that he actually writes the debt off of his books. So even though you made this settlement in 2009, it is possible the bank will not actually make the write off until this year in 2010, and so you may still yet receive a 1099-C form from them next year. So do not report this until that form is actually received.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thank you jeff