How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I settled on a boat in 2009. The bank did not send me a 1099

Resolved Question:

I settled on a boat in 2009. The bank did not send me a 1099 form.Do I have to claim the settle amouit on my tax return
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello jeff,


If you did not receive a 1099-C form from the bank, then you should not include this as taxable income on your return.


The lender only issues the 1099-C form in the year that he actually writes the debt off of his books. So even though you made this settlement in 2009, it is possible the bank will not actually make the write off until this year in 2010, and so you may still yet receive a 1099-C form from them next year. So do not report this until that form is actually received.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you jeff



Merlo and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you