How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in 2008 i received 17 238.40 social security and 30 119 in

Resolved Question:

in 2008 i received 17 238.40 social security and 30 119 in wages. how much of my social security was taxable. i am single and head of household
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



As a single person, SS allows you a base of $25,000. You must then deduct half of your SS benefits from that base, and the result if what you are allowed to have in other income before any of your SS benefits become subject to tax. So in your case, the formula would be $25,000 minus $8,619 = $16,381. Any other income you have which exceeds $16, 381 makes part of your SS taxable.


Since your wages were $30,119, it works out that $8,527 of your SS benefits are also subject to tax.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions