How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning,I formed an S Corp in New York state in March

This answer was rated:

Good morning, I formed an S Corp in New York state in March 2009. I plan to file an extension to file both state and federal corporate taxes, but I think I need to estimate the taxes and make the estimated payment by March 15. I'm sure I will show a loss for the year. Do you think I will owe any federal taxes? I think my state franchise tax will be $25. Does that sound right?

S Corps do not pay federal taxes unless there are out of the ordinary circumstances so it is unlikely that you would owe anything with your federal extension.


The New York minimum tax is based on gross receipts. If your gross receipts were less than $100,000, your tax would be $25.



Jon Andrews and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you