How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5884
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in nyc. I used my parents address in westchester when

Resolved Question:

i live in nyc. I used my parents address in westchester when filing my federal return since my mail delivery at my apartment in nyc is not always fast and sometimes they put it in the wrong mailing address. The nyc address is on the W2s. Now the IRS wants to audit me because of the amount of taxes witheld by employers do not make sense. I filled out my return info exactly as presented on my w2s. Will the address be an issue for me?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JKCPA replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Using your parent's address on your tax return should not matter as long as you are sure you will have no problem receiving any IRS mail by using that address. If you wish to change your address with the IRS, you can file a Form 8822 (Rev. December 2008)


Hope this helps,

Best regards,



JKCPA and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you