How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother-in-law passed away and my wife and her sister received

Resolved Question:

My mother-in-law passed away and my wife and her sister received a distribution from some annuities. The insurance company sent them each 1099Rs with a gross distibution number and a taxable amount. the 1099Rs received had the same account number with my wife's account number ending with an "A" and her sisters with a "B". Each set of 1099Rs has the full amount of the distribution even though each of them only received half that amount. Does this A & B designation assure that the IRS knows that each has only received half that amount or has the insurance company made an error and we need to get them to cancel the old 1099Rs and issue new 1099Rs reflecting half the amount for each my wife and her sister?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello ktmaloney,


They should not have issued 1099 forms that each show the full amount. The 1099 should only reflect what each of them received, as the IRS will be looking for each of them to report that full amount on their returns.


If you cannot get the company to issue a corrected form, I would recommend just listing the entire amount on line 16a, but then on line 16b only show half of the taxable amount which is attributable to each of them.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank you kt



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you