How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29799
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When the IRS sent my refund for my 2008 tax return, they shorted

Resolved Question:

When the IRS sent my refund for my 2008 tax return, they shorted me $600. A few weeks later, I recieved a notice in the mail from them stating that a mistake had been made, but it did not say what the mistake was, and indicated that I did not have to do anything. How can I get the $600?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Please verify the notice you received - does the IRS indicate that the mistake was made om their side or on your side?


When did you send your 2008 tax return?

Did you claim any Recovery rebate credit?

- line 70 form 1040 -



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They indicated that the mistake was on their side. I e-filed on Feb 2, 2009. I did not claim a Recovery rebate credit.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

If they admitted the mistake - you should already receive additional $600.


There is no other way to find out - but to contact the IRS directly.

You may call 1-800-829-1040,

or just walk-in your local IRS office - please find here convenient location in your state -,,id=98337,00.html


Sorry - that is the only way to solve your problem.


Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you