Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I take districution from capital, therefore reduce the

Customer Question
"Capital stock" on balance sheet? I...
Can I take districution from capital, therefore reduce the "Capital stock" on balance sheet?
I had taken distribution more than retained earning last year, therefore the balance sheet is not balanced since the "Cash" is decreased. When I started out the company a few years ago, the "Capital stock" on balance sheet was told to put in a huge number. Now I want to take some money from the company, would like to know if I can reduce the "Capital stock" to a smaller number. Thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2010
Tax Professional: Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 years ago
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

There is no need to reduce the capital stock account. If you have taken distributions in excess of retained earnings, the retained earnings account will be negative.

jon

I am using Turbo Tax, and it doesn't go negative on Retained Earning for excessive distribution. Beside, the "Cash" is much lower the "Capital Stock" now. Any suggestion?

I do not use Turbo Tax so I cannot tell you specifically what to do with that software, but there has to be a way - negative retained earnings is not uncommon. Turbo Tax support indicates that retained earnings can be negative. See this link http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/general-program-issues/entering-your-data/740.html.

My guess is that there is a box to check or an interview question to answer that will allow this to happen properly.

jon

So it is ok that "Capital Stock" is less than "Cash" on balance sheet? What if I really want to reduce the number for "Capital Stock"?

It is quite normal for capital stock to be less than cash. Capital stock is a defined number - number of shares outstanding times par value per share. There is no negative or positive impact on anything based on the capital stock amount. You can make it $0, $1,000, or $1,000,000 and it will not have any tax impact whatsoever. So, if you want to change it, go ahead.

jon

Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews