How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested for indecent exposure last year, and am on probation

Customer Question

I was arrested for indecent exposure last year, and am on probation for a couple of years. As part of the probation my PO thought it might be good to see a psychologist so I don't do this anymore. My psychologist told me that I could claim the money I pay him on my 2009 tax claim. My mom does my taxes and said that you can deduct your medical expenses but I just wanted to make sure that this is a "medical expense" I don't want to get in trouble with the "tax gods" Thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

That is correct - please see IRS publication 502 - - page 13.

Psychologist. You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to a psychologist for medical care.


You can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the amount of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your AGI(Form 1040, line 38).

Let me know if you need any help.