How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a settlement after being injured in a car accident.

This answer was rated:

I received a settlement after being injured in a car accident. Attorney took 33%, and I had to pay back (subrogation) the bulk of my health claims paid by my health insurance - approximately 33,000 dollars. Am I able to take this money, paid back to health insurer as a medical tax deduction? Another question, I put the remainder of the money I was left with (30,000) in a CD under my son's name (17yrs old), I am custodian, does he have to report the interest or do I? My son did work in 2009, but taxes were not witheld, and he earned approx. 2,800.00. He was not planning on filing a return. thanks


Physical injuries or physical sickness settlements are generally non-taxable.

  • If you receive a settlement for physical injuries or physical sickness and did not take an itemized deduction for medical expenses related to this injury in prior years, the full amount is non-taxable and generally does not need to be reported on your income tax return.


  • If you receive a settlement for physical injuries or physical sickness and did deduct medical expenses related to the injury, the tax benefit t amount is taxable and should be reported as "Other Income" on line 21 of Form 1040.

Did you claim medical expense deduction on Sch A in the year you incurred the expense?


If the settlement received for personal injury is not taxable than attorney fees paid and medical expenses paid back to health insurance Co is not deductible.


You can elect to report the interest income earned by your son on your tax return and pay tax on your tax return.



Let me know if you have any question.


Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.



RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry, I am still some what confused. The accident was in 2008, I received the settlement in 2009. I did not itemize any medical expenses in 2008, as I was told I did not meet the % needed to make a difference at tax time. I have paid out more money in medical bills this year, including the money paid back to insurance company. If I itemize my medical this year, what is the impact? So, if i read your response correctly, I can not take the money I paid, due to subrogation, as a tax deduction.

My second question, I did review on IRS site, and from a "test", it looked as though my son didn't need to report the interest income, and I wasn't allowed. Is that correct? Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, will I expect to receive another asnwer to my 2nd question posed

If you claim the medical expenses incurred as deductible than you will include the amount you received as settlement for personal injury as taxable income.


Regarding- interest income of your son-

since he is 17 years old- you can elect to include his income on your tax return,


Link for your reference



RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you