Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What does it mean if my tax refund needs further review?

Customer Question
I checked the status of...

I checked the status of my NYS tax refund and found this message: "We received your return and it required further review which could take up to 60 days to complete. If you receive correspondence from us, you should respond as soon as possible" What does this mean?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Tax
2/18/2010
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 7 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

I wouldn't be too concerned about this. This means that your return has been "kicked out" during the initial processing (probably by a computer) & requires further review. It may have been a simple math error or you entered something on the wrong line or possibly there's a mismatch with your W2. Don't be surprised if you just get your refund without any further correspondence.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert