How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I dispute a 1099-misc A company that I worked for 4

Resolved Question:

How do I dispute a 1099-misc? A company that I worked for 4 years ago sent me a 1099 for what they claim is a debt that I owe them. I have disputed this debt since the first time they claimed that I owed it. It is even on my credit report as a disputed debt. How can they send a 1099 claiming that I now have this disputed debt as income?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



You may contact the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNNand tell them you have received an invalid 1099 form. They will send form 4598 to the employer requesting that the form be corrected. This of course does not guarantee that the firm will comply, but this should be your first step. The IRS will send you a copy of the form 4598 that they send to the company.


If the firm does not void the form, when you file your tax return you will need to attach a statement explaining why you excluded this 1099 from reporting on your return. You should also include a copy of the 4598 form to show the IRS that you requested a correction. Once your return is received, the IRS will continue to correspond with the company in an effort to obtain supporting evidence of whether or not the 1099 was issued legitimately. If the company cannot validate the amount they reported to you as income, then you should not have to pay tax on this amount.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thank youCustomer/p>



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I accepted your answer earlier this morning and my account was debited. I do not know how long they take to pay you after I accept but I assure you it was done.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.



Yes, I did receive credit for your payment.


If you received an email asking for payment again then I apologize. These follow up emails are automatically generated by the JA system, but should not be sent out when payment has already been made. I will check with the website administrators to see why this occurred.


I apologize for any confusion, and thank you again for using JA.