How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 67 years old. If I cash in some of my 401K how will my

Resolved Question:

I am 67 years old. If I cash in some of my 401K how will my 2010 taxes be affected?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

Hello juli,


Since you are over the age of 59-1/2, this would just be a normal distribution for you with no penalties assessed. The amount you withdraw would simply be added to any other income you have for the year, and it is your total income that determines the tax bracket which you would fall in.


If you could tell me how much other income you think you would have for 2010, how much you plan to take from your 401k and if you file as single or married, I could give you a better idea of the percent you would pay on tax for this withdrawal.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button.


Thanks juli



Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you