How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I get a W-2 that was sent to the wrong address?

Resolved Question:

If my old employer sent my W-2 to my old address and refuses to send me another copy, how do I get the numbers?

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.

It is always the taxpayer's responsibility to keep their address information updated with employers or former employers for purposes of making sure you receive your tax forms. If the employer sent your W-2 form to the last address he had on record for you, then he has complied with the law. Most employers are willing to issue you another copy, or at least a photocopy, and send that to your new address once you notify them you moved.

If your employer is not willing to send you another copy, you may call the IRS at 800 – 829 – 1040 and report that you have a missing W-2 form. The IRS will then send Form 4598 to the company. This is a form which requests that either a missing or incorrect W-2 form be sent. You will also be sent a copy of the Form 4598 which is sent to the reporting firm.

If you do not receive a W-2 form by the time you file your taxes, then you will have no choice but to file Form 4852 with your taxes, which is used as a substitute W-2 form. You would enter on this form the wages that you think you made on this job and the taxes that were withheld from your checks. If you have a final paycheck stub from the employer, this would help you determine those figures. Otherwise you will just have to estimate what you made and how much taxes were withheld.

The IRS also receives copies of your W-2 forms, but it will probably be a few months before they have all the W-2 information entered in to their system - usually around June 15th. At that time the IRS can compare what you reported on your Form 4852 to the actual figures that were reported on the W-2 form and they would notify you by mail of any differences. You would also be advised if the adjustment resulted in you owing additional taxes or an additional refund.

Thank you.

Merlo and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you